The Magrabi Foundation is the leading private foundation in the area of eye care in Egypt. Our foundation builds on a more than 20 year track record. Moreover, we incorporate the rich industry knowledge and experience of the MAGRABI Medical Group, to help us achieve our goals.
- OUR VISION: A SOCIETY WHERE NEEDLESS BLINDNESS CEASES TO EXIST
- OUR MISSION: TO PROVIDE AFFORDABLE EYE HEALTH CARE TO ALL
We bundle all our efforts to make this dream come true, building a comprehensive system to provide affordable eye health care to all those in need, irrespective of income, gender, religious or ethnic affilication.
Our key activities include:
- Providing professional high-quality eye surgeries to effectively prevent or cure of blindness through our low-pay hospital, and future localized surgical centers.
- Reaching out to the poor through our local Vision Centers and Outreach Caravans, providing access to eye health care services to marginalized groups.
- Leveraging our work by offering comprehensive education & training services on all levels, including eye surgeons, para-medicals, nurses, community organizations and hospital managers.
Our work is made possible, through the endless personal commitment and visionary leadership of our founder, Dr Akef El-Maghraby.
Find below some striking facts & figures on why blindness is to a large extent “needless” and how it could be eliminated.THE CHALLENGE
- GLOBALLY EVERY 5 SECONDS A PERSON GOES BLIND.
- 285 MILLION PEOPLE ARE VISUALLY IMPAIRED WORLDWIDE.
- 40 MILLION PEOPLE WORLDWIDE ARE BLIND. 9 OUT OF TEN BLIND PEOPLE LIVE IN A DEVELOPING COUNTRY.
- 800,000 PEOPLE IN EGPYT ARE BLIND.
- EVERY YEAR, AN ADDITIONAL 150,000 EGYPTIANS GO BLIND.
- WITHOUT PROPER INTERVENTION, THE NUMBER OF BLIND WILL INCREASE TO OVER ONE MILLION BY 2020.
- TWO THIRDS OF THE BLIND, IN EGPYT, ARE FEMALE.
The World Health Organisation estimates that the direct economic cost of global blindness, coupled with the direct economic loss of productivity for impaired vision, over the next 20 years could equal more than US$ 300 billion.
THE WAY FORWARD
MORE THAN 75% OF ALL VISUAL IMPAIRMENT CAN BE AVOIDED OR CURED
CATARACT is the most common cause of blindness worldwide. A cataract is a clouding of the lens inside the eye; the subsequent opacification of the lens obstructs light from passing and being focused on to the retina at the back of the eye.
Cataract is conventionally treated with surgery. To date, the Magrabi Foundation has conducted close to 25,000 surgeries through its low-pay hospital and seeks to multiply its capacity to fully serve the drastic need in Egypt, and beyond.